LEV

My name is Laura Emily Vent. I am an artist and creative director, and over the last few year have become an educator at London College of Communication and University of the Creative Arts. My route into education has been through my professional practice. I graduated in 2007 with a BA in the History of Art, and followed this with a stint running the programme at the Sassoon Gallery in Peckham for two years, as well as finding work within the commercial creative sector. Within this space I developed as a researcher, and began advising and working on creative campaigns. I bring an understanding of visual culture and aesthetic theory to my teaching.

On reflection and looking at my career it would seem that I have always been, in some form, ‘a teacher’. Throughout different aspects of my career I have often been tasked with relaying complex research to teams that I am working with, especially within the commercial creative sector. Having shifted my professional practice more predominantly towards education in the last two years, I have felt that this communicative and directive part of my professional skillset has found the right outlet. I currently lecturer on the Diploma in Professional Studies here at LCC, where I work with students in the Design School to plan a year of experiential learning outside of the academic context. 

I am interested in undertaking the PGCert in order to provide an academic underpinning to what I currently do. I am often very intuitive when it comes to working with students, and I would like to explore a more structured foundation to my work with them. I am looking forward to working with and learning from others during this process, and am excited to build on my emerging practice in this arena.